Nearly 19 years in East Africa and counting...

Monday, May 1, 2023

Somalia Update

As I write this, I’m in Mogadishu. I woke this morning to the sound of rain. It has happened before but it doesn’t happen that often. After five failed rainy seasons, you wonder if there will ever be a good, solid rain again. For now, at least in some of the more southern parts of the country, we’re getting some precipitation.

Prior to this trip, as I was preparing my travel documents, it occurred to me that I had four upcoming international trips booked. I think that’s my record. I’ve had three before but I don’t remember having four separate trips on the horizon. It’s good and bad. I realize the environmental impact that travel has and I look forward to the day when I can stop doing this sort of thing, or at least cut back to one or two trips a year rather than a couple trips per month.

* * *

There hasn't been any major news on the Somalia side of things, relatively speaking. Indeed, the figures of those in desperate need have begun to drop. We’re not out of the woods by any means. Livelihoods have been lost through the decimation of camel/goat herds. They cannot be rebuilt quickly. Same with farmers in the southwest. Crops have been lost and it will take time to replant and hopefully boost agriculture production. Thousands upon thousands have been displaced, most of whom have no intention of returning to their villages. There is now a massive burden on urban areas to sort out how to care for the influx. But there is a sense that things are improving, at least in the short term.

rain on the way

But the military offensive against militants continues, with a likelihood of a new phase beginning soon. Some view such news with mixed feelings as intense fighting generally breeds further insecurity in civilian areas and more displacement. It’s never ending.

We push on, not only responding to needs in communities where we normally operate but also pushing deeper into the country to bring relief to people in their communities of origin, trying to prevent displacement before it happens. This isn’t easy as we need to make sure we, or our local partner organizations, are not put in harms way.

meetings in facilities with a view - a bit different from where I work/stay

* * *

One big focus is on maintaining funding levels as the spotlight drifts away from Somalia. The situation in Sudan went to hell in a hurry. The world’s leaders (generally men) continue to foster the myth that disagreements must be resolved by the gun. In the US, the myth is continually perpetuated without an understanding of how things really work. In case the rash of mass shootings isn't sufficient an indicator, one can point to places I've lived and worked as another indicator of how things work when society is laden with assault weapons and people learn that it is how issues are resolved. It has never worked.

No comments: