Nearly 19 years in East Africa and counting...

Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Mid-March: Mogadishu - Covid-19 Arrives


Immediately after returning from Diani, I turned around and flew to Mogadishu that Monday morning. It was March 9 and at that point there were no confirmed cases in either Kenya or Somalia. I assumed we were on borrowed time though. Different places on the African continent were confirming cases and we knew it would take hold in East Africa at some point. 

By now though, even with no confirmed cases, greetings were already becoming awkward. At the Nairobi airport I saw several of my counterparts, heads of various agencies working in Somalia, and one or the other would partly extend a hand, pull back, smile awkwardly, shrug shoulders, etc. It’s a normal transition given the circumstances. It will be interesting to observe how much of a long-term impact this situation will have on how we greet each other and how we interact in general. 

One of the reasons that I wanted to make the trip so soon after Diani was the anticipation that travel restrictions might end up preventing me from returning anytime soon. My concerns would prove to be well-founded. Even while I was in Mogadishu, the Kenyan government announced a quarantine for any travelers coming to Kenya from, or through, countries with confirmed Covid-19 cases. It wasn’t my situation but one could feel the walls closing in.

While in Mogadishu I mostly stayed in the office/guesthouse. One can get a bit stir crazy (insecurity protocols rather than virus) so I made sure that I worked out in the evenings. We purchased a treadmill a while back and set it up on the roof. It has been so helpful to me. I normally abhor treadmills but if you don’t have the alternative to go running outside, it can end up being your best friend. At least for me, exercise is critical to maintain my sanity. And I sleep better too.

By Wednesday, March 11, the WHO officially declared the coronavirus outbreak to be a pandemic. It was sort of a foregone conclusion that this was in fact what the world was experiencing but it was still sobering to reflect on where we were and how quickly all this had happened.

On Thursday I would begin making my way back to Nairobi. As I packed my bag, deciding what to leave behind for my future visit (I maintain a certain stock of clothing and other essentials in my room at the guesthouse so that I don’t have to bring them each time), I thought to myself that this might be the last time I’m here for a while. It now appears that way. 

At the airport in Mogadishu there were the same awkward greetings with people from other agencies, including the UN. The head of UNICEF was getting messages on his phone from the Somali government regarding assistance in setting up quarantine facilities. Other messages came to my phone saying Somalia had a confirmed case. Then it was later denied, supposedly just individuals being held in quarantine. Controlling the messaging is tricky in these situations. Even in my own organization, it’s important to get out in front of it as much as possible and make sure that the narrative doesn’t get hijacked by misinformation. As we boarded the plane, all of us were on our phones trying to figure out what was going on. We compared notes with each other in an attempt to triangulate information. As the plane took off, there was still considerable lack of clarity as to what was going on.

Rumors were stirring on the Kenya side as well. After arriving in Nairobi and proceeding through immigration, I got in the taxi and checked my messages. There were some rumors that there would be an announcement of a confirmed case but by the time I went to bed, no such announcement would be made. 

The next day, fittingly Friday the 13th, the announcement did in fact come. I went to our Kenya office, which is combined with the Kenya country office as well as two regional offices, and we pulled together the VPs and Directors to sort out the way forward. It was decided to shut down the office by the following Wednesday and shift everything to work-at-home. Though we’d done a considerable amount of contingency planning, there were still things that had not been accomplished. Kenya-based staff needed internet at home. In some cases scanner/printers. We needed to figure it out quickly.

Starting the same day, the light began to come on for Nairobians and people began to realize that this was getting real. People began hording. It wasn’t massive but it would gain pace over the coming days. By the middle of the following week, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, thermoflashes and all the usual commodities began to disappear from store shelves. Priya noticed some strange things in people’s shopping carts like multiple cans of Doom (bug spray) and spray air freshener. It’s hard to say but we sort of think some people don’t understand how best to kill a virus. 

It was now clear that the dominoes were beginning to fall. On Monday, March 16, came the announcement from the Somali Minister of Health that they were confirming their first case. Somalia, in particular Mogadishu, is interesting in that most of the people who travel, particularly to locations with high Covid-19 caseloads, live and work within the secured airport area “green zone”. Many who work for the UN or donor governments are not even allowed out for security reasons. It’s a pre-existing limitation on movements that could work to Somalia’s advantage, so long as it is managed well. In fact, many of the country’s limitations could ironically turn into strengths in containing a virus. Mogadishu is riddled with security checkpoints that make movement around the city a pain in the ass. These checkpoints are prevalent throughout the country as well, some manned by government, others by various armed militias. Moreover, distances are vast and most of the roads are terrible. Internal flights exist but they are prohibitively expensive for most people. Not to say that Somalis don’t travel around the country. They do. But it’s just cumbersome to do so and all these challenges just might help limiting the spread of the virus. We shall see.

No comments: