Nearly 19 years in East Africa and counting...

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Attack in Mogadishu



Over the past few weeks I’ve made a couple trips to Somalia. I admit that it’s a bit tense when I’m there but the more I go the more I feel like I have a better understanding of the dangers. But there is an unpredictability to the insecurity that not even locals can seem to get a handle on.
Mt. Kenya on the way to Somalia
Case in point is that last week there was a devastating attack in Mogadishu killing over 350 people. The number is still rising as many are still missing. A large truck, laden with explosives, was detonated in one of the busiest intersections of the city. The blast flattened buildings in the perimeter, including collapsing a hotel that left dozens buried in the rubble.
The sad news is that one of my staff was killed in the blast. I had seen him just a few weeks ago during a recent visit. He leaves behind a pregnant wife and two small children. The news was a serious blow to the team and one of hundreds of similar stories. Thousands of people have been impacted by losing family members, friends, colleagues, etc. 

I called the team in Mogadishu the day following the blast. I wasn’t able to fly there for various reasons but I do plan on going as soon as I can. As much as the staff there demonstrate a stiff upper lip when dealing with such things, I am quite sure that it’s been harder than they let on. 

I had been to Mogadishu just a few days prior to the attack. In our security briefing just before our convoy headed out, it was determined that the main tarmac road would be unsafe. It’s the same road that would have taken us through that particular junction and heading out to the camps on the outskirts of the city for those who have been displaced by drought and/or violence. The reasoning given was the increasing amount of IED attacks on the road in the days prior.
Since the attack there have been rumors that there were some who may have been aware that a large attack was imminent. I have no idea but I do know that security had been increased over the past few months and there hadn’t been a large attack since early 2017. This one slipped through the cracks for whatever reason. 

no way to live
But our work continues. My team is resilient and I’m grateful to work with them. They’ve shown tremendous dedication to get back to work as soon as they were able. Navigating the city in the days after the blast was complicated and involved people walking significant distances on foot to get to the office. It reminded me of challenges we faced in Bujumbura in 2015 as violence paralyzed much of the city. It’s at the same time humbling and inspiring. 
Mt. Kilimanjaro on the return from Somalia

No comments: