Nearly 19 years in East Africa and counting...

Thursday, September 7, 2017

Trip to US Part 2 - Indiana

"I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it."
-Edith Sitwell, poet (1887-1964)



One of the first things we noticed flying into Louisville (Kentucky) was that the weather was not as hot as it normally is in mid-July. We’ve spent numerous vacations in the region where time spent outside this time of year was uncomfortable and limited due to the heat. During the time we were there, I doubt we’ve ever spent more time out of doors. It was a nice change since so much of my job is spent indoors. Good to get out and get a bit dirty.
As usual, a key factor in determining how we spent our time was our need/desire to get the girls out of the house and doing something. We don’t mind them having a bit of screen time here and there, particularly if it’s educational, but we try to get them moving, running, jumping, playing as much as we can. It’s obviously good for them but it’s good for us. Wears them out. They sleep.
We were able to take advantage of a community aquatic center in Clarksville on a couple of occasions. There are few things the girls like to do more than swim and play in the water. They grew up that way. From the time they were born we had them in the Club du Lac pool in Bujumbura. It’s also important for us to have them comfortable in the water early. 

July is also the month of their birthdays. We were torn about how to celebrate. In Nairobi, and also in Bujumbura, kids’ birthdays are big events by both locals and foreigners. Obviously the richer people are the more they pull out all the stops. We have had a hard time keeping pace, or wanting to. One advantage of being in the US is that the massive birthday event is simply not going to happen. It doesn’t stop them from asking the occasional question as to why there are no bouncy castles or hired clowns but I can live with that.
We also had a family night out to watch a theater (Broadway musical) production, The Music Man. I’m embarrassed to say I’d never see it before though the music is generally very well known. The small theater was in fact a very nice place to watch a show and tickets included a buffet dinner. To be honest, I thought the quality of the production wouldn’t be that great given the smallish playhouse but I have to say, they were pretty damn good. I’d do that again.
view from a run through a state park
As for me, worked out a lot. Did some gardening – it’s sort of a thing when I go to the US these days. I enjoy it, largely because I don’t have to do it except for a couple of weeks per year. And it helps out both of our parents. I also played dad a lot. Worked probably more than I should have (though it did lessen the load when I returned). The one thing that I didn’t do enough of was read. I always say that I’m going to devote a chunk of time towards catching up on some reading and I don’t get it done. Maybe next time.


No comments: