We've just returned from the US after a long vacation. We're tired and jet-lagged, but happy to be home. Travel went smoothly and we arrived with all of our bags. It was quite the adventure. So let me go back in time to start from the beginning.
Travel to the US
The school year ended and, as is our custom, we began looking towards summer in the US. We had done some extensive planning and it would be a lot to fit into five weeks, but we were excited to get the trip underway.
Thankfully, travel went without a hitch. We had a very close turnaround in Seattle, but, after speed walking through baggage claim, immigration and the terminal, we arrived at our gate just in time for the final board call for the flight to Boise.
![]() |
| Stunning view of Mt. Ranier as we were heading out across Washington. |
In addition to flying over Mt. Ranier, we could track some of the smoke from the many fires burning in or near the Rockies. We would have some issues with smoke over the subsequent weeks, but less than I was expecting given the amount of territory being consumed by fire.
My sister picked us up at the airport and it was time for our action-packed Idaho adventure to begin.
Boise
The first leg of the trip involved a number of activities that we squeezed in before heading to the mountains. I escorted my mom to a doctor’s appointment. We had a family get-together with the rare feature of all my siblings in attendance. I was trying to front-load as much family time as possible given that I would need to be dedicating a considerable amount of time up north.
And we attended a very fun AJR concert. If you’re not familiar with them, it would be worthwhile to look them up on YouTube. Highly intelligent guys churning out quirky, yet sophisticated, music. When I was living in Switzerland I regularly attended concerts, often as a part of my job at the boarding school. Later, when I was living in California, I went to a few but since then I haven’t really been to many. As my daughters are now both teens, that may change.
Another task I had in Boise was to begin preparing for my lean-to build which would take place the following week. Though most of the building supplies were purchased through a store conveniently just up the road from our property, there were some tools and things I needed to pick up in Boise to assist in hitting the ground when we arrived in Meadows Valley.
McCall/New Meadows
I have been anxious to get this build project started since the idea crept into my head several months ago. With my mom no longer able to us her RV, and the vehicle sitting in storage that is costing my sister money, I thought that taking it on would make sense for a number of reasons. It would: 1) keep the RV in the family in keeping with the wishes of my mother; 2) relieve my sister of the burden of storing the RV at her expense when she has no need for it; 3) provide us a place to stay on our property all the while allowing us to keep tenants in our house; 4) provide me with a manageable construction project that I have been wanting to do, and saving money from hiring a contractor. More on that later.
![]() |
| Fun on the lake |
Theater Camp
The main driver for the timing of our entire trip was the theater camp that a friend of my brother had alerted us to last year. This woman helps run the camp and she put the seed in our heads. As it worked out, the girls were interested and we incorporated it into our plans.
Camp began on a Sunday and the plan was for Priya and me to alternate between McCall (camp) and Meadows (lean-to build location). In the end, it worked out pretty well. It resulted in shorter workdays than I had hoped but we were able to sufficiently support the girls and get some stuff done.
The production was The Little Mermaid. Kiran did prop/stage support while Kinaya acted in a few different roles. Overall, the whole cast did a great job in a gorgeous setting overlooking the lake. Afterward, the they decided to take a fully clothed lake plunge. In fact, they did about four or five. Though the girls felt it was difficult to fit in towards the beginning of the week, by the end of camp they were exchanging contact information and bidding each other farewell until next summer. It’s a good sign if they want to participate again next year.
The Lean-to
As I mentioned, the objective of the project was to provide a shelter for my mother’s RV that is no longer being used. I figured that we could use it from time to time to have a place to stay and reduce the imposition that my family traveling from Africa makes on the Idaho family when we are visiting. It won’t replace it entirely, and I enjoy bonding time when we stay with family, but sometimes they have other obligations and/or visitors. We just don’t want to be an imposition. And, in all likelihood, I’ll be spending more time there over the coming months/years. Anyway, we’ll see how it goes.
I have realized over the years that I have a number interests that do not interest the majority of the world. I like a job that takes me to one of the most dangerous countries in the world. I like cold weather. I like waking up early in the morning, even when I don’t need to. The list goes on. Another thing I like to do is build stuff, even if it’s complicated and I lack the experience and tools to make it easier. I read an article in the NY Times a couple months ago that talked about “friction maxxing” and I think it’s something that I have been doing since I was young, long before it was a thing. It’s basically intentional approach to doing things the hard way, generally for the purpose of developing and maintaining skills and/or abilities and retain agency. It is taking the elevator even where there are stairs. It’s writing something yourself rather than using AI. It’s using a regular bicycle when an e-bike would relive you of some work. I understand that there are times that these tools are beneficial and I don’t fault people that use them. It’s more my personal approach to things. The problem is that my relationship with friction can sometimes have implications for those around me.
I realize that there are people that tolerate friction far more than I do. I'm far from an extremist. I embrace technology where it makes sense to me and avoid it when I think it's getting in the way.
The lean-to turned out to be a lot of friction. For starters, just preparing the post holes for the eight support poles took forever. I knew the ground would be rocky from other things I have done on the property. But it was far worse than I would have imagined. My poor brother and wife were my co-workers on the project and I think they were regretting what they had gotten themselves into. I wasn't happy about it either, but it was my project and I was the one who had been wanting to build something with my hands. It was just not a pleasant way to get the project off the ground.
![]() |
| Leveling the ground |
![]() |
| Framing |
![]() |
| Not quite done and we had to leave |
In the end, we lost a full day just due to the rocks. Even the excavator on the tractor was unable to bore through them. It ended up being shovels, a crowbar and a hammer that enabled us to get the job done.
Once we set the poles in the concrete and started the framing, things began to look more hopeful. Other than the rocks, the biggest challenge we faced was the heat. We were limited as to how early we could start given that we had to shuttle our daughters to theater camp each morning. By midday, we could only work in short stints before taking a shade/water break. Definitely tough sledding.
Frustratingly, we weren't able to finish before we needed to leave. As it is now, it is a functional roof, but I'll be looking to finish it as soon as possible.
Back to Boise
We had few objectives for when we were back in Boise. One was to spend some time with my mom. I've been trying to take her to church/lunch when were there. We were able to do so both Sundays (the main reason we cut the build project when we did).
I also wanted to have my daughters practice driving. They've done some steering over the years while sitting on my lap, but they hadn't driven on their own. So I took them to a location with dirt roads and no obstacles to crash into. They actually did quite well. Very weird to see my little girls becoming young ladies...
We also continued to track the World Cup matches. I found them to be so fun to watch this year. Even after the US lost during the knock-out stage, there was a surprising amount of enthusiasm in the country for the games.
One other event that we were able to fit in was an evening at the Shakespeare Festival in Boise. While it was a beautiful evening out, the play didn't get the best reviews by our family. In fact, the girls ended up leaving shortly after intermission.
![]() |
| Great seats |
I saw Sweeney Todd several years ago. It's not my favorite and I'm not sure why it is so frequently presented by these festivals in the US. To make matters worse, this particular production was unnecessarily dark. When I saw it before, it was presented a bit more whimsically. This one seemed to lean into the more morbid aspects of the play which, to be fair, is apparently truer to its mid-19th century origins. Just not kid friendly.
As we reached the end of our two weeks, it was time to board the plane for Minneapolis.














No comments:
Post a Comment