(I've changed the name from "Rants" given that I can't really rant about many things that frustrate me here, at least not without getting into some sort of trouble. As such, you'll have to wait for the book.)

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Geneva to Idaho


Ok, so it's been a long time since I've posted something. It's been rather busy to say the least.

Since the last entry, I wrapped up a very intense time of preparation for being gone for longer than a month. After a week in Geneva, I was to go to the US for four weeks.

Geneva was an interesting week of meetings and a presentation at the UN High Commission for Refugees. It's a long story but the invitation came largely from our work in Tanzania in 2009-2010 and some good work we did, particularly Priya, in a transition to their results-based management standards and indicators. It's likely that it wasn't the most riveting topic of the week but it is important and I think it went pretty well. It was also good to see a bunch of people in Geneva that I haven't seen for a while.

From Switzerland I caught a plane to Idaho for a week of fun in the great outdoors. I only have a few days since I need to get to the Midwest to see Priya, whom I haven't seen in almost 2 months. You see, this isn't just any vacation. After a week of playing in Idaho, I'll be joining Priya in Indiana for the birth of our baby girl.

Up to now I've not mentioned it in the blog. Initially it was for general caution but thereafter it was mostly just that I didn't get around to it. Not to say we aren't excited about it. We're crazy excited though some of the fun of late has been dampened by the fact that I've been separated from my beloved wife for what seems like forever. More on that later since I catch my plane tomorrow.

For now a brief recap of my time in Idaho. The morning after I arrived, it was off to the camping trip. Our destination was north of Sun Valley, an area we know quite well since our family has been going there for three generations. Over the next few days close to twenty family members would gather for mountain biking, hiking, eating, jogging, road cycling, etc. I didn't end up with much down time but it was a lot of fun.

at the campground
riding among the Sawtooth Mountains
Curtis' photo - stopping to catch the view (and our breath)
From there it was off to Kimberly where my parents live. There was a bit more down time there though we did spend a day touring around the valley. Good to be a tourist in an area where you grew up.

yet another photo of Shoshone Falls
Kylie beneath Balanced Rock
Then it was back to Boise for a bit more biking and running last minute errands. Dinner last night in a cool restaurant, farewells and so forth. The short and sweet trip to Idaho comes to an end. Lots more interesting and funny stuff to recount but I don't have time. You'll just have to take this as it is for now.
the Boulder Mountains as seen by my new camera

No comments: